Monday, April 6, 2009

Baby Control

What does safe sex really mean? "Engaging in sexual activity using measures such as latex condoms to avoid contracting a sexually transmitted disease such as AIDS." Considering measures mean birth control as well, how do we trust that birth control is really safe for our bodies? Does the definition of safe sex stop at avoiding STD's and pregnancy? What about US? What about OUR bodies?

Recently, I took away the very last part of me that attached myself to Western Medicine. Seeing as this does actually work and the fear that's drilled behind it, I had a hard time stopping. This above all else, would be birth control.

When I typed in, "How to prevent pregnancy, the natural way", I had a bit of a laugh to myself. Unfortunately, the issue of birth isn't something that can be stopped without a patch, shot, pill or ring and by ring I mean the Nuva ring of course. I can't tell you birth control won't help you to be baby-free until your ready but I can tell you the repercussions of taking the birth control pill. Condoms are a good replacement and although they can be annoying, if it means not sacrificing your body and avoiding having hormones released into your system, it remains a good thing.

What I experienced in my first few years of using birth control was minor hormonal changes, weight gain(but only in my breasts), combined with the annoyance of having to take it every day at a certain time and the thought of not being able to have kids in the future. Now, I'm 19 and for most people....knowing whether you want to have a kid might not be clear right now but why cut your ends short? Most people (excluding our parents) tell us this is just a hoax, and how are you supposed to know that these cases of women realistically, could have never been able to get pregnant to begin with. The truth is, there happens to be no evidence proving that birth control will cause infertility...but do we really want to risk it?

I encourage all of you to read carefully through the lovely leaflet that explains your birth control choice. After trying to avoid taking a pill each day I tried the Nuva Ring...after the Nuva Ring decided to suck....I stopped. Below are some of the things we aren't told about birth control...

Did you know that certain drugs may make your birth control become ineffective? This includes antibiotics, St. John's Wort, anti hypertensive drugs, drugs for diabetes, antacids and wait...Vitamin E?! It's funny that you can go to a doctor about these things and they won't tell you ANY of this. I remember going on antibiotics at least 3 times in high school and I've been on the pill since grade ten....not ONE person told me this.

That is why we must READ THE FINE PRINT people, there are things we should be aware of!
BE aware of breast cancer, circulatory disorders, gall bladder disease and liver tumours. Scared yet? Read around, there are stories of people almost loosing their life, stories of women who couldn't become fertile after birth control and this all happens more than we think.

Consider continuing birth control.
Read the side effects.
Consider the facts.

Safe sex,
Amber

44 comments:

  1. I read something the other day about a lady who had to get her leg amputated because she was taking the birth control pill at the same time she was on a grape fruit diet (eating and drinking a lot of grapefruit juice with her regular diet). There is something in grapefruit (and in other citrus fruits) that when combined with the birth control bill can have extreme side effects... scary. :|

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Good for you Amber! Freeing yourself from birth control is a brave step, but I think it is a wise one (as long as you are very careful to prevent pregnancy using other methods until you are ready, of course). I am hoping to do the same soon too. Sure, there may not be documented proof out there yet that birth control pills cause infertility, but I think it's healthy and wise to be wary of putting artificial hormones in your body. Especially if it's for years and years. I have been uncomfortable with taking it ever since I started, and I am looking forward to living Pill-free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is so interesting that we are now thinking about being pill-free as freeing since it was actually the pill that changed so much for women when it first came out. I feel so much better since I went off it but I have to admit that it is a good choice for many women. I was on the pill and then the patch for years and finally the side effects just got too much for me and I abandoned hormonal birth control! I was reading up on the Rhythm Method and alot of people in the world use it for various reasons and when kept track of properly I guess it is extremely effective. However it takes dedication on the part of both partners and that is also why it is considered the only form of birth control with equal responsibility. Condoms are important and I have been curious about vegan ones but I don't know where to find them here in Canada let alone in Windsor and if so then to find ones that adhere to the proper protective standards. Great post Amber, thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vegan condoms are out there. I also like to look for ones that are not tested on animals as well. This is hard to come by. You can't really go into a pharmacy and pick them up.

    Also, I can't seem to get off the pill. Not because I'm afraid of getting pregnant, but because I like being in charge of my period. I have the most miserable periods. 12 days. Painful.

    If there is a natural way to deal with that, I would get off the pill immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ladies, thanks for the comments! I'm glad some of you are pill free as well. Things certainly did become a lot more painful and scary....but I'm trying to push through it. I'm looking into some serious natural assistance in the wonderful period knife stabbing pain and once I do I'll do a post on it as well!
    Chelsie, not sure how to help the 12 day thing- that's a little messed up I'd say! I'll look into that as well...!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. keep sharing with us, please....I will waiting your up date everyday!! Have a nice and relax day! ..................................................

    ReplyDelete
  7. 看看blog調整心情,又要來繼續工作,大家加油........................................

    ReplyDelete
  8. 原來這世上能跟你共同領略一個笑話的人竟如此難得........................................

    ReplyDelete
  9. 原來這世上能跟你共同領略一個笑話的人竟如此難得........................................

    ReplyDelete
  10. 一定要保持最佳狀況呦,加油!!!期待你發表的新文章!.................................................................

    ReplyDelete
  11. [做人難,人難做,難做人] 人.事的艱困與磨難,是一種考驗!要以樂觀歡喜之心,很珍惜地過每一天!^^..................................................

    ReplyDelete
  12. 唯有學習不已的老師,才能認真的教,唯有燃燒自己,才能點亮他人的燈............................................................

    ReplyDelete
  13. 一個人的價值,應該看他貢獻了什麼,而不是他取得了什麼....................................................

    ReplyDelete
  14. 河水永遠是相同的,可是每一剎那又都是新的。. . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  15. 在你一無所有的時候 是誰在陪伴你 他便是你最重要的人............................................................

    ReplyDelete